Maybe you are playing a trivia match or the kids need a science project, who knows, but popcorn does have some interesting facts none the less. just so you are prepared to impress your kids and friends alike with your overall popcorn knowledge here are a few kernel size facts...
1) Although popcorn has been around for thousands of years, in more recent years, ears of popcorn said to be over 4000 years old were discovered in bat caves in New Mexico, in 1948. If that's not interesting enough - some of the kernels were dropped in hot oil and still popped!
2) Native Americans first introduced popcorn to the colonist who then used it, served with cream, making it one of our first puff whole grain cereals.
3) Charles Cretor introduced the first mobile popcorn machine in 1893.
4) Popcorn has been served at outdoor sporting events since 1912.
5) During the Great Depression begining in the late 1920's in America, bags of popcorn sold for 5 to 10 cents making popcorn an affordable snack for families down on their luck.
6) Percy Spencer, in 1945, discovered that popcorn popped under microwave energy. that along with other quizing lead to the modern microwave oven.
7) Almost all the worlds popcorn, over 480,000 tons, is produced in the United States.
One more fact that is undeniable is that popcorn is enjoyed by all types of population, from the young to the old it is our much loved feel good snack. In the US alone, it is estimated that the average person eats 70 quarts a year.
Article Source: http://Education.50806.com/
Author By Laura Dayne
Orignal From: 7 Fun Popcorn Facts - Popcorn History